Friday, January 30, 2009

...reading...

I am happy to say that I just finished two books in about 2 weeks! This may sound odd, but this is such a relief! All throughout college I gained this strange feeling that I shouldn't just sit and read fun books (and for me fun books aren't always book candy, fun books can be full literary meals). I think it started from a place of I have homework to do, therefore get that done and then enjoy yourself. Of course once I got done with the homework, or even before then, another impulse (the social one) took over. It told me to take the time to invest in friendships. So this summer, when school was finally over, I had every intention to start checking books off my reading list right and left! But, it didn't happen that easily. At first I had to work on finding a job and so just sitting and reading was being lazy and I couldn't let myself do that. Then, once I had a job, I didn't feel like I had a place to just sit and read...beyond not having a place I was seriously lacking in personal contact. As much as I am an introvert and I enjoy sitting on my own and reading, when I've had too much time on my own, I can't stand it any longer. Unlike an extrovert though, it doesn't mean that I'll feel better by being in a crowd or hanging out with lots of people at once. What I prefer is one-on-one, face-to-face interaction. The funny thing is that there are times that my "people" quota can be filled by just one or two of my good friends sitting in the same room as me while we're all reading with the occasional comment about our stories. I know, I'm a strange one. But the simple fact that I have been able to read, read like I used to, read with or without others around tells me soo much about my state of mind! Mind you I still miss my doppelganger and I still need more time with my friends, but this has been so telling for me that it just makes me excited!
Oh, ever extensive and growing book list! Here I come! :D

1 comment:

  1. hooray! I know how you feel. Thank you for letting me borrow HP and reading it has boosted my esteem...? something like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete