Wednesday, February 25, 2009

on a caffeine buzz

warning: this will be random and rather stream of consciousness...just so you're aware before you dive in. To my English major friends and grammar Nazi readers, please excuse this post as it will most definitely upset you.

So while I was sick I decided that I wouldn't have coffee, mostly because I only drink coffee with milk or creamer in it and the milk and creamer doesn't help much with the whole being congested part of being sick. So I've been without coffee for a little while. Not without caffeine, but there's nothing like espresso to give you concentrated caffeine! So this morning I stop by Starbucks as usual to grab something to drink and I decide to get a soy latte...well maybe it's the fact that I haven't had much espresso in a while, but right now I'm really jittery and really random...it's like I'm hyper, but without being physically antsy, it's a mental hyper-ness, if that makes any sense. Anyway...I have work to get done this morning, but I really can't focus on it right now because I keep jumping around between ideas for this weekend: huge murder mystery dinner party I'm planning and a variety of other things including, but not limited to: how I'm going to get to Ashland this summer to see Music Man and Much Ado, how I'm going to get to Nor Cal for the wedding I'm in/how much time I need to take off in order to do that...speaking of which I just realized checking my "job timeline" would be good! But beyond that I'm bouncing everywhere! Ahhh!

About this Saturday, I'm really excited because this is going to be one of our best stories yet. The cast which has been assembled will be a good mix of people, too. The time is interesting b/c we've chosen to set it in the future, but it's sort of an alternate dimension future....it's more like how things could have happened....sorta....there's some strange things that brought about the city which is where everything is set, but at the same time the world that surrounds that city is a complete mystery, even to me. It could be very advanced, it could be a wasteland, it could be no different than it would be 40 years from now, it's just that Metro 686 is different...technology has regressed a lot, well, the technology that people use on a regular basis, there's no phones, no computers, we're back to telegrams, but there's films, and detection/crime fighting technologies are more advanced. Outside of the city, if there is a world out there, they're fairly normal...or at least the governing forces have more up-to-date technologies at their disposal. Of course because of this strange situation we've gotten a lot of questions about why we didn't just set it in the past, but really I think it was an arbitrary decision when we chose the date. It seemed fitting...it's a utilitarian "utopia" I use quotations for rather obvious reasons, there's no way in which humans, on their own and by their own devices could have a true utopia. Of course we can all pretend. That's what most of the city does, I believe, they pretend that everything is fine, especially when it looks that way, there are those who have stopped pretending, though. One such person, who stopped pretending, is dead...that's why we're all gathering...this murder could shock everyone back to more pretending or it could pull down the scrims (for those of you not involved in staged stuff, scrims are useful things, they're like curtains but depending on lighting they can be seen through, they can provide backdrops, they can provide false-backdrops...etc...)...Oh goodness....once again I see the ways in which my theory classes have taken over my mind...this isn't healthy, maybe I should change topics...We probably should have actually set it just in the 40's but the tough part with the 40's is that you have to factor in the war that's going on. That could be fun, it would make for some interesting character possibilities, like Nazi spies, but then you have to get more global and there's also the risk of getting a little too much like the films we've seen of that time period. If we go with a society where they have based their ideas of culture and style on films they've seen, then we're allowed to go there! wow...this is getting long...maybe I should actually get to work, or maybe I should...no...I'll get back to work and let you do similarly. If you've read to this point you're more brave than I am because I'm not going to even re-read this for fear of editing it all down to a sentence or two...there ya go! Til the next time!

1 comment: