Thursday, November 20, 2008

Not to be confused with Bionic...

The idea of the Byronic hero has intrigued me for a while...mostly because I've found myself oddly attracted to those great Byronic heroes of literature (Rochester, The Phantom, Dracula, ...). To clarify Byronic heroes are based upon Lord Byron, the Romantic poet, author, etc. and they're the troubled, brooding, dangerous characters. I've recently learned that all vampires post the book "The Vampyre" have been Byronic and well, it make sense. Anyway...I've been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a few friends and on Monday one of them posited the interesting idea of Buffy being a Byronic heroine! Now, of course I could count Angel in the mix of the Byronic heroes, but Buffy? Can there be a Byronic heroine? Well, needless to say, I've been having a grand time researching this possibility! There is precedence of Byronic heroines, including but not limited to Jane Eyre, Ligeia, and well Buffy, although I'm still looking into how that works. I'm intrigued by the idea of the Byronic heroine because it would finally give women in the Gothic genre another character type besides the domestic victim or the vamp! I'll see what else I can find and tell you about it later. For now I'll leave you with the answer to my last post's title: Evita and Buffy (both the film and the t.v. show [particularly the musical episode] have songs that open with "where do we go from here?".

1 comment:

  1. I love that Buffy Episode!

    ...And I shall eagerly await the results of your findings. This whole thing interests me a lot, even though not too long ago, I had no idea what a Byronic hero was! :)

    ReplyDelete